I'm a critic and a skeptic

Saturday, November 13, 2010

San Francisco, first class seats, and a cheap John?

In December of 2007, my friend Lauren and I went on a weekend trip to San Francisco. The trip was plagued with disasters from the moment we got to the airport. We didn’t want a rental car so we planned to get on a flight that would get us in town in time to catch the Bart out to my friend Scott’s house in Concord. We get to the airport and we were supposed to be on the 2155 flight, we got bumped (we were flying standby since it was free). The next flight was 2230 and that would put us in SFO at 2355, 10 minutes after the last Bart train leaves the airport. We talk and decide if we are going to cancel the trip and still go. We decided to go and catch a shuttle to the city and hang out till the Bart starts running again. We called my friend and told him that’s what we were doing and he went to bed. We try to go through security and she had her big bottle of perfume which was over three ounces and her choice was throw it away or take it to the car. I had already made it through security. I walk back with her to the car and put it in and walk back and weight to go through security again. On our second trip through she leaves her cell phone in her pocket, she has to go through it again and puts it in the bin to be x-rayed. She goes through no problems, grabs her stuff and we start down the concourse at Sky Harbor and she realizes she doesn’t have her phone. We go back and it’s not there. Luckily we had some cowboy TSA agent who wanted the fight and goes and looks at the camera footage and we find the guy who took her phone from the bin and we call the police and fan out and search from him. I spot him at the gate about to board. The officers tell the gate agent to stop boarding. The officers pull him aside and search him and find her phone. In the three minutes since he stole it, he disabled the sim reprogrammed it and wiped all her info. We had to prove it was her phone. I remembered I had loaded some rough demo recordings on her phone. This was all the proof the cop needed to arrest him. I made sure it was a felony by telling him the phone was valued at $400. At this point we were late for out flight it was scheduled to leave. They held the plane for us. We get to the gate and they had heard what had happened and upgraded us to first class. We board the plane and laugh and tell the pilot our situation how were not going to make the last Bart train and how this trip has been a disaster. We were supposed to land at 2355, somehow we landed at 2335. They told us as we were taxiing to the gate to get our bags out and get ready to get off the plane, the called ahead and they had people ready to point us in the direction we needed to go to make it to the Bart train. We had all of first class intoxicated with our drama of this trip. We get to the gate and we are off running to the train, we get to the ticket counter and the train is there, I tell her two for Concord and she prints the tickets I handed her a $20 and left without my change no time for that. We make it on as the doors were closing. We made the last train. All should be fine right? Wrong. I try calling my friend and no answer, I email him nothing. Last he heard we were hanging out in the city and going to catch the first train out his way. We land in Concord with no address and no idea where we were. We start walking and an off duty cab pulls up and asks if we need a ride. We BOTH had luggage and were walking together. We put our bags in the trunk and I tell him we have no idea where we are and to take us to a cheap motel. This guy turns to us and says for $20 he will park the cab and give us 30 minutes. Did he really just call Lauren a hooker and me a John? I flipped out and started screaming at the guy, does she look like a hooker, and do I look like I need a hooker? Swears were shouted and we get to a hotel that his brother owns and he sets us up in a room. The rest of the trip was pretty standard we meet up with Scott in the morning and head to the city for a day of shopping. With all the drama that happened we decided we better leave that night and not risk getting stuck in the city when we both had school and work the following Monday.

1 comment:

  1. Holy crap, that sucks.

    Days like that are ridiculous. I can relate, and I'm sorry you had to deal with that. But thanks for sharing because, somehow, schadenfreude makes us all feel a bit better about our days as a result. :]

    ReplyDelete